Sunday, April 22, 2012

2 Different Puppy Treats - Meaty Coleslaw & PB Remix

My dogs always seem to know when I am cooking something special for them.  Yes, they seem to linger towards the kitchen when I am cooking, but when I cook them dog treats they stay glued to my heels!

After posting about my first dog treats found here I realized that the milk in the treats was causing them to mold!  You can't feed your dogs moldy treats!  So I did some research and simply switched the milk out with beef broth.

Beefy Peanut Butter Treat Ingredients

2 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
1 Cup Beef Broth
(Don't forget the cute cookie cutters!)


In a mixing bowl, combine your flour and baking powder before adding peanut butter.  It can be tough stirring in the peanut butter alone, so you may just want to go ahead and add the beef broth, stirring it all by hand.  Then flour you surface and roll out the dough.  I cut mine with cute bone shaped cookie cutters.  This mix was slightly runnier than my previous recipe containing milk, so I added more flour along the way.

I cooked them at 350 for about 15 minutes.


The dogs couldn't wait!  In this picture, they actually look like they are being very well behaved and nonchalantly patient, but trust me, they were not that patient!

My second mixture was a combination of food my dogs love:  eggs, turkey and ham.  They really love just carrots, but I had coleslaw containing carrots that needed to be eaten, so they got that in the mix as well.  I will call this my Holiday Feast Treats because it reminded me of the my day after Thanksgiving sandwiches where I combine a bunch of leftovers onto some yummy bread!

Holiday Feast Treats Ingredients

3/4 Cup Coleslaw (or better yet, just carrots)
3/4 Cup Turkey (can add ham, chicken, salmon, or beef)
1 egg
Flour to combine

Put your coleslaw in a food processor and chop it up.  Set aside.  Then remove all the fat from your meat and put that in the food processor, chopping it up.  Combine your processed coleslaw, meat, and an egg in a bowl.  After that, add just enough flour to make it all stick together in a small ball. 

I baked these at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
 

They may not be the prettiest, but my dogs love them!  Store them in the fridge when you are finished giving your own dog some to enjoy!

Have you ever made any homemade dog treats?  If so, how did they turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment