Friday, July 18, 2014

Freezer Meals For New Parents

This past weekend my family and I made a TON of freezer meals in preparation for Braelyn's arrival in the next 6-ish weeks or so (eek!).


I know a lot of my fellow #TIUpregnancy girls would love to know what we've made, so I've put it together for you in two word documents!  The first is the actual list of freezer meals and the ingredients/instructions.   The second file is a one page shopping list.  My shopping list was broken down by section of the store I find these ingredients in, thus I bundled them together to make shopping easier.  I spent about $400 total on all the food and packaging needs.

Please take note, there are not all TIU approved dinners.  Rather they are husband and wife approved!  My purpose of making these meals in advance was to give us some healthy meals (rather than running to Taco Bell or Sonic nightly out of exhaustion) as well as a few comfort foods to remind us of home.  We don't live near family, nor do we have a ton of friends around us to help out once our little one is here.  (BTW we totally miss everyone that's decided to move over the last year-ish...yea, we'll make new friends, but we miss you!)

With our freezer meals, I was able to make 16 different full meals.  Each meal has at least 4 servings with some even up to 24 servings (12 meals for each Neal and myself of our favorite...chicken enchiladas!)  We did a lot of "dinner" meals that will have leftovers for the next day's lunch.

We also made a few breakfast sandwiches, quiches, and breakfast meats in advance as we a HUGE breakfast eaters.  I know some people think it's strange, but I literally cook eggs and bacon or turkey sausage nearly every week day before work. I have always been big on breakfast!  If I'm not making that, we have steel cut oats with fruit or on occasion in a pinch, cereal.

Attached you will find my list of meals:  Freezer Meals by Lively Happenings

Attached here you will find a one page summary of the grocery list:  Freezer Meals by LH Grocery List

At the bottom of your first document (yes I know it's long, but that's 16 meals + some additional info!) you will find my notes/suggestions.  I recommend reading that section, even if you aren't interested in all of the meals. (also note, I'm not all about fixing my spelling mistakes everywhere...apologize, lazy mom to be on the little details!)

In the list of freezer meals, you will find the following delicious recipes for full meals, chicken broth, and the last 3 are items I freeze to add to meals!
  1. Chicken Enchiladas
  2. Chicken Quesadillas
  3. Stuffed Shells
  4. Quiche
  5. Chicken Spectacular
  6. Chicken & Broccoli
  7. White Lasagna Chicken/Spinach
  8. Shrimp Pasta
  9. Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches (pinterest) (mama and baby love)
  10. 16 Bean Soup
  11. Chicken Broth
  12. Cranberry Russian Chicken
  13. Italian Beef for Crockpot
  14. Beef Stew
  15. Cranberry Pork Roast
  16. White Chicken Chilli
  17. Healthy Mama BBQ Chicken
  18. Freeze Turkey Sausage Patties
  19. Strawberry Slices for Oats
  20. Cook and Freeze Bacon


 As a new breastfeeding mom, you may want to take into consideration what you are eating as that relates what your baby is getting from you.  A friend sent me this image for a non-colic diet for baby.  You can sub out ingedients in my meals to make your diet fit this more.
Original Post Found Here

Also, another friend has recommended the following to help breast milk supply
  • Mother's Tea, found here in bulk on Amazon
  • A serving a beer - yes even my doctor said this helps increase milk production. That doesn't mean drink a six pack, it means one beer...
  • Oatmeal (hello delicious steel cut oats in the morning and maybe even an oatmeal cookie at lunch!)
Look for my future post were I'll give you some of my favorite "Energy Bites" recipes along with other snacks I plan to have on hand for post delivery at the hospital as well as scattered throughout the house to keep handy when I'm feeding the little one and can't quite move around a ton or make a meal.

I hope this post is helpful to you!  If you have other suggestions of great freezer meals or prep for baby, share below!!!

5 comments:

  1. Sooo excited about this post!!! Ur #tiupregancy sisters thank u!! :P :P Can't wait to check it all out, plus sooo intrigued about those energy bites!! Thanks!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krissy! Glad you are able to get inspired from this post!

      Delete
  2. So wonderful! Thank you for providing so much detail! I'm trying to start freezer cooking in smaller amounts (a week's worth of dinners at a time) so hopefully I can get into the habit and do a BIG cooking day like this!
    Also, I appreciate that not all of these are TIU approved, as my husband is a picky eater. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I'm glad Jennifer!!! I would love to do one that's more TIU approved, but my husband is the same way...I literally think I could eat fruit in the morning and veggies all night and be super happy sometimes, but I know it's better to balance it out and everything in modernation for me is better than going super extreme! My husband sure does appreciate it when I'm less 'TIU approved' too :)

      Delete
  3. Do you think its a good idea to start taking the Mother's milk tea before delivery? Maybe like a week or 2 before the due date to help get the milk flowing for once baby is here? Just bought a box and not sure when is best to start taking some! :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete