Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Weekly Meal Planning - VDay Week!

I am a day late on my weekly meal planning!  Opps, but I promise there is a solid reason. 

I had severe abdominal pain and upper esophagus pain Sunday night into Monday morning, and we finally ended up going to the ER to ensure my esophagus wasn’t torn & nothing else was wrong.  The doctors believe that I might have strained myself by running so hard in the cold weather for the 5K on Saturday as well as having alcohol later that night.  Had I thought more thoroughly, I would have avoided alcohol and I would have also maybe not have signed up for the 5K the day after my endoscopy, even though the doctor said it was okay to run & didn’t tell me to avoid alcohol.

Here’s the meals we have planned for this week, they include some of the usual, chicken fajitas one night and fish with veggies another.  We have a new treat, Cranberry Apple Pork Tenderloin that I think I am going to love! My father & his girlfriend had it and sent me their pictures and recipe.  I can’t wait to try!   

Monday:  Steak, Potato & Veggies

Neal grilled up our filets from his birthday gift of Omaha Steaks and we had them alongside the baked stuffed potatoes & leftover asparagus
 

Tuesday:  Chicken Fajitas

Chicken Fajitas - Serves 4

Marinate your Chicken (mine has to be without the spices this week…sad esophagus!)

  • 1.5lbs chicken
  • 1 t Cumin
  • 2 t Chili Powder
  • 1 t Paprika
  • Dash of Salt
  • Garlic, minced - to your taste (more is better in my opinion!)
  • 1 T Olive Oil
  • Drop of Liquid Smoke
  • 2oz Lime Juice - squeeze to your taste
  • Cut your veggies
  • 1 Green Pepper, sliced
  • 1 Onion, sliced
  • Optional: Mushrooms, Tomato, any other veggies your heart desires!
To Cook
  • Put a skillet on Medium heat, add in your chicken. While your chicken cooks, add in a little Creole seasoning for even more flavor.
  • Once chicken is cooked, add in your veggies and cook for another 3-5 minutes
  • Serve with your toppings of choice on a whole wheat tortilla!
My favorite toppings
  • Avocado
  • Shredded Lettuce
  • Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
  • Cheese (Mexican, Goat, Feta, whatever you desire, I like to keep it interesting!)
Wednesday Friday:  Crock Pot Cranberry Apple Pork Tenderloin w/ steamed veggies & sweet potato
  • 2lb pork tenderloin (plain/original) (Feeds 2-3)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
  • ¼ cup brown sugar (you can always sub honey, maple, or agave)
  • ½ cup apple juice
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
  • 1-3 carrots, chopped (about same size as apples)
  • 1 shallot, diced (or any kind of onion)
  • 1 pkg lipton onion soup mix, mixed in 1 cup hot water (make your own)
  • 2 Tbsp Pork “Roasting Rub” or any mixed pork seasonings
  • 3 Tbsp Apple Balsamic or any balsamic or red wine vinegar
  • Optional:  pinch of celery seed, fennel seed and caraway seed
  • Salt and Pepper (depending if your pork seasoning has it already in it then don’t use)
Directions
  • Place pork tenderloin in a crock pot then top with all ingredients in order listed above. 
  • Cover, and cook on low 8 hours.  Or on high for 4 hours and low 1
  • Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus. 

Thursday:  Neal’s taking us out to Red Lobster! 

Friday Saturday:  Fish & veggies

Simply by putting your fish on the stove top with a little oil or butter, sprinkle on your favorite seasoning, cook about 3 minutes. Flip your fish, sprinkle on your seasoning and cook another 3 minutes.

Want a more unique recipe?  Try the Cilantro Baked Fish 

Steam up some veggies in the microwave or stove top, and you are good to go!
 
Do you have a meal I should try next week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment