Tuesday, September 25, 2012

When Does a Dreamer Become a Doer?

I am truly blessed.  I laughed, smiled and shared so much joy with 400 other 'Quitters' at Jon Acuff's Quitter Conference this past weekend in Nashville, TN. 
 
I am going to be completely honest with you, I went to the Quitter Conference because of my love for everything Dave Ramsey.  Jon Acuff joined the Dave Ramsey Team in 2010.  I had heard of him from the radio show, but hadn't listened enough to his story.  I am now engulfed in his story and his passion to help people find & pursue their passions!  He's helping turn dreamers into doers!

He signed my book (above) and we also were in that awkward friend side hug for 30 seconds because my phone camera wasn't cooperating.  I wanted to have something clever to say, but for fear of taking a bad picture, I just kept smiling:
 
I felt like these characters that displayed on the screen at the start of the conference when we were meeting people seated around us:
 
The two day event introduced me to people who are really making a difference in this world. Some of these people who pulled the most at my heart strings are:
  • Al Andrews, founder of the Improbable Philanthropy.  Al was a typical guy with a vision to turn a poem he once wrote into the source of funding for a philanthropy.  He just wanted to be a philanthropist, but didn't have the cash to do so.  With the money he has made from his children's book,"The Boy, The Kite, & The Wind, nutrition and medical assistance has been provided to children in need  Also, the proceeds have also gone towards fixing a utility elevator at Thistle Farms, supportive workplace where women who have struggled with addiction, prostitution & life on the streets acquire the skills to earn a living for themselves and their families.  I learned from him to never forget to dream.  A four year old sees a towel and a tube of wrapping paper as a cape and light saber, we shouldn't forget that, and "...the memory of the wind is stronger than the memory of the kite." 
  • Laura Wilson, the CEO and Artistic Director of Strings for Hope.  Laura was shocked to find that right down the road from her, one of her child's friends was only able to eat twice a day.  She realized she could do something about hunger when she saw broken guitar strings being thrown away.  Her and other designers upcycle used guitar strings to make jewelry sold at craft shows and music festivals.  All of the proceeds go towards curing hunger.  You will hear me talking more about this cause in the future as I am going to be trying my skills in designing some of the jewelry!
  • Jon Acuff, the man behind the conference.  He has opened my eyes to the possibilities of the future.  Without him, there would be no conference, and in my live there would still be dreaming, and no doing.

I am a dreamer sculpting the path I need so I may become a doer.  I have two dreams for which I am laying down stepping stones. 
  1. One of them I think I can accomplish by the end of this year is to open an Etsy shop.  I have had the desire to open a shop, and now I am almost ready to bring my designs to you!
  2. My second dream is one I would like to start next year.  I still have a lot of learning to do and people I need to bring onto my support team, but it's in an industry I have wanted to be a part of since 2008, the pet care industry. 
I can't wait to share my dreams with you and allow you to travel this path with me as I take the steps into pursuing these passions!

What are your dreams and how are you becoming a doer?

No comments:

Post a Comment