Saturday, February 25, 2012

Whole Wheat Healthy Berry Muffins

This morning I woke up CRAVING carbs, but I knew we didn't have anything other than Ezekiel Bread (which is delicious btw) and I wanted something more, so I figured - muffins!!!  I had just purchased blueberries and blackberries and knew I wanted to put them in my muffins. 

I wanted to keep these whole wheat and w/ as little un-needed extras like sugar and butter as possible.  And well I took a leap and decided NOT to use either!

After searching through a few of my recipe's saved to my Pinterest, I took a jab at trying this one from eat-yourself-skinny.com  

I exchanged the canola oil with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, I cut out the sugar and used some Huckleberry Honey (super yum) and tweaked a few other things to use what I had on hand. 

Here's the final product! 

 

Here's the recipe with a few switches I chose to make:

1 Cup Skim milk
1 apple (processed in food processor to consistency of applesauce)
1 egg
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp Milled Flax
2 Tbsp Wheat Germ
2 tsp Baking Powder
3 Tbsp Honey (I used Huckleberry)***
3/4 Cup Blackberries - cut up a little
3/4 Cup Blueberries

Oven 400 degrees F.  Bake for 15-20 min (mine was 18)

Process your apple to applesauce consistency.  Combine it, milk, egg, oil, lemon juice.  Add in flour, flax, wheat germ and baking powder.  Then stir in the sweetness of your fruit and honey!  Make sure you add this to a muffin pan that's lined or sprayed!

***you MUST try huckleberries if you haven't already - I ate them all along a 2 mile hike in Salmon, Idaho one day and FELL IN LOVE! So on my way home I purchased some huckleberry products including this honey! :)

Ingredients:


I sprayed my muffin pan and put it aside.

It was time to process my apple so I chopped it up (took out the seeds and stem) and put it into my food processor:


 The outcome = great!  Glad I kept the skin on too for extra nutrients:

Then I mixed my wet ingredients.  My entire processed apple (about 1/2 cup), 1 C milk, 1 egg, 1 T EVOO, lemon juice.

I combined my dry ingredients straight into my wet (could have used another bowl but it wasn't clean....so I just mixed it in...lazy, I know!)  My 1 3/4 C whole wheat flour, 2 T milled flax, 2 T wheat germ, and 2 tsp baking powder.

After cleaning and chopping my blackberries, I added them, my blueberries and my honey!  You can add your own fruits of choice and honey of choice.  I just LOVE my huckleberry honey I got while on my adventure out west!

I baked it for 18 min at 400 degrees F, and I think they turned out awesome!


Finished Product:


Served with Turkey Bacon and 2 over medium eggs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment