Saturday, February 25, 2012

At Home Buffalo Chicken Salad

I am very excited to share one of my husband's favorite recipes with you.  It's the only one I can think of that consists mostly of greenery!

He always makes up the buffalo chicken, so sorry, there is no exact amount of spices and sauce he uses, but that leave room for adventure!  Right!?

First he cuts all the fat off the chicken and then cuts it into bite sized pieces.  Then puts that in a bowl and starts to combine it with Franks Red Hot sauce, cumin, chili powder and some Creole (any mix of spices with a kick will work)



After letting the flavor soak in for about 20 min, he heats a pan up on the stove top and cooks on medium until the meat is done (sometimes he will add more red hot sauce too if it's looking dry...he likes it spicy!)


In the meantime, I am making the salad part of this meal.  I use romaine hearts, Parmesan cheese, whole carrots, celery and (not pictured here) toasted nuts.



Quick demo on chopping romaine that my dad taught me: 

 Evenly chop straight down
 Diagonally chop the rest

Salad spinner time (I love my salad spinner, I wash the salad, spin out the excess water, and then use the bowl to serve the salad!)


Next, I chopped up on celery stalk (hubby doesn't like celery all that much)  Then I grate my Parmesan and my carrot (one large one is all I need).




In the meantime, I have a small pan on my stove top with a mixture of almond slices and pecans.  I have the temp turned to medium-low, just enough to get them warmed and slightly browned.

Here's my salad combined w/ all my ingredients = SUPER YUM!  I could eat it like this without the chicken!




And a beautiful dish with my husbands buffalo chicken, some blue cheese dressing, and my salad creation!  Dinner is served!




 Ingredients

2-3 lbs Chicken - cut to bite size
1/4 Cup Franks Red Hot
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Chile Powder
2 tsp Creole Seasoning
***above seasoning and sauce are approximate go to our minimum or maximum hotness***
1 1/2 Hearts of Romaine
1 Large Carrot
1 Stalk Celery
1/4 Cup Parmesan (I use a cube or Parmigiano Reggiano and grate my own - way better this way)
1/4 Cup of Nuts (pine nuts, almonds, pecans are my favorites)

Cut the fat off your chicken and then cut it into bite sized pieces.  Combine your chicken with your hot sauce and seasonings.  Let sit 5-20 min. cook on skillet at medium temp until done.  In a smaller pan at medium low, start to toast the nuts.  For the salad: Cut and wash your romaine.  Wash your carrot and celery.  Chop celery.  Grate carrot and Parmesan.  Mix in the nuts.  Put some lo-cal dressing (I recommend blue cheese) and top with your chicken!  

Enjoy!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment