Monday, July 2, 2012

Goodwill Cabinet Turned Craft Room Masterpiece

I absolutely love finding a good deal on something. What I love more, finding a good deal on the perfect unique something!

I was at Goodwill when I came across an armoire.  It had some great bones, but I wasn’t sure what Neal would think.  I took a picture and walked away. 
For about 3 days, all I could think about was the armoire.  I knew it had to be mine, and for $35, I couldn’t pass it up.  When I went back one evening, it turned out the furniture section was closed for the night!  I stressed until I could return the next afternoon to see if my armoire was still in the store.  To my delight, it was!
I cleaned the piece with water, pledge, and elbow grease.  I lightly sanded the tops and sides before painting.  I didn’t prime the furniture, but vow to do so next time I paint.  I ended up using 3 coats!

The piece was very unique and I decided I wanted the hinges and knobs to stand out.  I found this cool, textural Kryon spray painted in hammered metal at Menards to do the job.  Since, the hinges weren’t real, they didn’t come off. I taped around them and spray painted.

I took the knobs off and spray painted those. 

After the 3 coats of paint, spray paint, and elbow grease, I believe I have a great piece of furniture.  I decided the piece would best be suited in my craft room (also known as the guest bedroom) and immediately took my supplies out of the closet and into my new craft armoire.

After about a week, I wanted something more.  I wanted a chalk board inside the doors of the armoire!  I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased a small bottle of chalk board paint and used a 4inch foam roller to cover the inside doors.

I love the way this project turned out and I love the craft room with this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment