Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Truffle Butter & Parmesan Popcorn

The sweet, the savory, the salty, and the cheesy all in one can't even begin to describe the delicious Truffle Butter & Parmesan Popcorn I crave!

I first tried this concoction at Bar Louie when I wanted to save a few bucks on food during a girls night out. It was less than $4!  It was worth every penny, and more. 

After realizing I couldn't just pop into Bar Louie's on my at-home movie nights, I knew I had to find a way to make this myself.

I have been popping my 'own' popcorn by purchasing kernels at Target.  I love the Midnight Blend.  However, my husband had never loved them as much because they weren't coated in butter and didn't have any of the same salty flavors of conventional microwave buttered popcorn. 

The combination of butter, truffle oil, Parmesan and thyme was exactly what I needed to make a popcorn that both my husband and I loved.

It is VERY simple!  Anyone can do it! 


Ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 Tablespoon truffle oil
  • 1-2 teaspoon thyme (fresh thyme would be better) 
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil***
  • 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
  • 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • Fine sea salt to taste


  • ***I like coconut oil, but you can substitute other high heat cooking oil such as almond oil, palm oil, sunflower oil, hazelnut oil, avocado oil or "light" or refined olive oil
    Instructions
    1. In a small sauce pan, melt your butter on low and add in the truffle oil and thyme. Keep this off the heat to not burn and set it aside.
    2. Get a large pot with a lid. Heavy bottomed is better.  I used a large non stick with a lid.  Add your coconut oil and 3 popcorn kernels to your pan and put on medium heat.
    3. Once your kernels start to pop, take the pan off the burner and add the remaining popcorn kernels.  Cover your pan with the lid slightly ajar (unless you have a vent on your lid) and place back over the heat.
    4. Shake your pan occasionally until kernels have popped and you can’t hear them moving against the bottom of the pot which should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
    5. Remove the popcorn from heat and drizzle with the thyme truffle butter, grated Parmesan and sea salt to taste. Simply place your lid back on snug and shake, Shake, SHAKE.  Now the popcorn is coated in deliciousness!
    *The inspiration for this came from my treat at Bar Louie and a few online recipes I found and altered to use ingredients I had at home.

    Neal and I highly enjoyed this treat last night as we watched Red Tails (what a great movie!!!). 

    I love that I can see all my ingredients and not question what is actually in the yellow powdery substance on my microwave popcorn.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment