Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stress & the Power of Positive Thinking


Each day is only as good as you allow it to be.

Each day is only as good as you allow it to be..

Each day is only as good as you allow it to be...

And my day begins.

I don't normally talk about work in detail on this blog as I feel my work and my 'play' are two different aspects of my life.  However, what can I do when they are both affecting each other so strongly that I begin to lose faith in other aspects of my life?  When work sucks, my creativity sucks. When my creativity sucks, I can't finish projects such as jewelry making or Christmas gifts I have planned to create.  When I can't finish my 'fun' gifts or projects, I get upset at my failure.  When I am upset with my failure, I can't even focus enough to make a simple family meal. When I can't make this simple meal, I begrudge Neal into cooking.  When I begrudge my husband I feel like a bully.  When I feel like a bully, I become depressed with my behavior.  When I am depressed, my husband gets depressed.  When we are both depressed, even the dogs get depressed.  And they cycle continues.

Work demands can be stressful.  I understand that, my coworkers understand that, my boss understand that, my husband understands that, my family understands that, and even my dogs understand that.  However, what I sometimes don't understand is how to deal with this stress.

Two types of stress, eustress & distress.  We learned these both in school years ago and I was always under the impression that meeting deadlines at work should be eustress.  The stress that encourages you to keep going, to get things done, to solve problems, to be productive.  However, there is a fine line between eustress and distress, and I think I found myself teetering on that fine line.

How do you know when you are tettering between eustress & distress?  When on a call with 12 other people, you are talking about meeting a deadline and instead of saying you are about to upload these spredsheets, you say, "I am doing this as we speak, I am working on these spreadSHITS."  And you don't even notice what you called them until someone starts to laugh....wow...I just did that!

Again, so how do I deal with this stress?  If I talk about it with my husband or others, I tend to stress them out too.  If I bottle it up, I explode.  If I try to go to yoga and calm my mind, I can get  there for an hour or two, but then once I am done, the stress picks back up.  WHAT do I do?

Seeing as my work is the main cause of my stress, I decided that I would tell myself "Each day is only as good as you allow it to be."  I want each day to be better than good, I want it to be great!  So I am going to revert to completely positive thinking for a day.  I am going to try really hard to not be negative about the projects that keep coming my way.  I also quite enjoyed these two Forbes articles:  14 Things You Should Do at the Start of Every Work Day & 14 Things You Should Do at the End of Every Work Day.  I particularly related to the Start list at Don't be moody:

     Don’t be moody. You’ll want to pay attention to your mood and be aware of its effect on others. “First and last thing in the day is when emotional intelligence can have the greatest impact,” Shindler says. So if you’re not a “morning person,” try to suck it up and have a positive attitude when you arrive at the office. Grab a second or third cup of coffee, if that’s what it takes.

The End of the Day is a little harder, and I need to be more creative since I work from home.  The final two bullet points are "Leave your stress at the door" & "Go home".   Leaving stress at the door is metaphorical for me since my office door is my computer room where I also blog, work on my Etsy store, where I find many of my workouts , and where I connect with others through social media.  Going home is also metaphorical.  I need to not be a workaholic.  If I can't meet a deadline, then I can't meet a deadline.  So be it.  As my boss even said something along these lines to me, "It is what it is & what can you do when there is this amount of work?"

So I am ending this post the way it began, I want to think positive so I can be positive.

Each day is only as good as you allow it to be.

Each day is only as good as you allow it to be.

Each day is only as good as you allow it to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment