Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Personal Fitness Goals


What defines personal fitness goals for you? Is it benching a certain weight, running a mile in a certain time, doing more reps on abs than you did last time, making it through the whole workout video, holding that pose longer or 'better' than the woman across form you in yoga, getting more goals in your sport of choice than last year/game, perhaps it's running or walking a little further than last week? These were all once goals of mine. I am exceptionally competitive. I don't only compete against others, I compete against myself. This is something I am trying to tone down.

Instead of being so competitive and even hard on myself with my personal fitness goals, I am trying to accept where I am at and look forward to where I could be with patience.

I have started to realize all of this with my past month of yoga practice. I have been going 4-5 times a week after getting a month Groupon pass to Power Yoga. If you have read my blog in the past, you will see me mentioning P90X Yoga a few times because I love the workout so much. The Power Yoga classes are very similar to the P90X Yoga in terms of many flowing movements, rather than holding poses for long periods of time.

Numerous times I have heard our instructor tell us to not compare our practice to those of us around us and to joyfully accept where we are in our individual practice. It's something that can be difficult for me to grasp. My friend, Danielle, who has been going to class with me, has also had to remind me of this message.

I want to hold the pose deeper than someone else. I want to stretch further than the girl across the room. But I simply cannot. For my entire life I have never been exceptionally flexible, I couldn't even touch my toes until doing P90X in 2010. I am stronger and more flexible now than I have ever been in my life, and that's something to be happy about!

I have appreciated this new understanding and insight my yoga instructor has given me. I don't think anything other than happiness and health should affect my personal fitness goals. I will not completely lose my competitive side, but I will make a conscience effort to try not to compare my fitness to another's fitness in a way that can bring me down. I think it's healthy to aim for a fitness goal whether it be a distance, time or rep to hit. I do not think that it's as healthy to compare myself to another person, rather celebrate exactly where I am at today.

I am still going to post about my workouts to inspire you and keep myself accountable.  From these posts though, I don't want anyone to feel they need to compare themselves to where they are at as to where I am at in my life.  I want you to be inspired to wake up a little earlier & workout to get your heart rate going for yourself.   I want you to be inspired to make healthy choices after work to go on a walk, take a class, go to the gym, or do whatever it is that keeps you accountable for your health. 

Go, enjoy your day, and do something that benefits your soul, heart, health, and happiness!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment