Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Day of Summer - Veggies & a Shake!

Happy Summer Solstice! 

One of my favorite things about summer is fresh home grown veggies!  My in laws gave us a bunch of squash, zucchini, and green peppers.  We visited them last week and they have multiple planters full of beautiful vegetables.  While we were there we enjoyed salads with homegrown spinach as well as baked and stove cooked dishes with squash & zucchini. 

Tonight I cooked with some of the squash and zucchini.  I made a dish filled with the colorful veggies and bursting with flavors of garlic, cumin and fresh feta.


It was so simple!

I melted butter and added about 2 teaspoons of chopped garlic.  I let that cook for about 2 minutes on medium heat before adding sliced squash & zucchini along with 2 tablespoons of water and 1/2 teaspoon cumin.  That simmered for 5 minutes on low/medium.  After the veggies were softer with just a little bit of crisp, I added some diced pimentos.  (I really wanted sweet red peppers but didn't have any so I substituted the pimentos.)  After letting that all warm up, I plated it and topped the veggies with crumbled feta cheese. 


The dish was so perfect paired with skillet cooked tilapia.  Neal made the fish seasoned with Penzey's spice Northwoods Seasoning.  It's such a great spice for fish.  It smells amazing and reminds me of the great outdoors with earthy undertones and a bit of a kick. 

To top off the first day of summer, I got a 1/2 off chocolate strawberry shake at Sonic!  I did the Chest, Shoulders & Triceps workout from P90X so I didn't feel guilty at all when I dove into my delicious shake!

Happy Summer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment